Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Something Blue

Choosing my something blue for the wedding was an easy choice, in that I didn't actually chose it as much as it was chosen for me.

This is the story of my ring.

Personal Photo




In August 2011, Mr. Ly and I went on our very first long vacation together. We had been together for almost a year and a half, and we decided to take our first real vacation.  We jet-setted off to the Riviera Maya for a week of fun in the sun, and of course every single one of my friends said to me (months before we even left) "You are TOTALLY getting engaged when you are away.  I just KNOW it."  As kind and well meaning as my friends were, I just KNEW that we were not getting engaged.  I was positive for a few reasons.  First and foremost, I had specifically told Mr. Ly that I did not want to get engaged while we were away on vacation.  I had a few specifications of what I wanted in an engagement, and being on vacation did not fit my ideal proposal. So it was off the table.  Second, we hadn't really discussed a timeline so much, but I do remember Mr. Ly saying over dinner on my birthday the year before that he wouldn't want to get engaged before a year and a half, and Mexico was going to be a year and four months. Mr. Ly is nothing if not patient, so I knew he was not going to jump the gun and surprise me two months ahead of schedule.  Third, we had barely talked about what kind of ring I wanted, and Mr. Ly always does his research before any big purchase.  That hadn't been done either... so we left for Mexico and I had no intention of getting engaged while we were there, and no surprise, it didn't happen there. However, going to Mexico was a critical moment in our engagement because it was where I fell in love... with blue diamonds.

Now I know that blue diamonds are extremely rare in nature*, and I also had in my mind that I wanted  classic solitaire engagement ring, with a round diamond, and nothing on the sides long before I even knew who would give it me.  So how did I get from something simple and classic to the split shank halo with a blue diamond that I currently rock? (pun intended)

If you've ever been to a resort in Mexico, you know the sales game is hard-core down there.  From the second you step off the plane, people are trying to sell you things, get your business, and most importantly your moo-lah! Our resort, was lovely, but had that sales-y vibe, especially in the shops area.  We were just browsing, looking around on our first night in Mexico, and we passed the jewelry counter.  Keep in mind we had never gone ring shopping, had barely breached the topic of engagements, and I just glanced at the rings in passing.  The salesman, Marcos (we visited Marcos many times that week!), flags us down, and engages Mr. Ly in a conversation about buying a ring for me.  I love this conversation for a couple reasons.  First,   Mr. Ly has no intention of ever making a purchase like that on the fly, without doing proper research, and he is a salesman's nightmare when it comes to closing a deal. So I know this will be fun to watch.  Also, I get to play along and try on sparkly rings!  None that match what I had in mind, they were all very trendy. Lots and lots of sparkle, so pretty but not my style.  Finally, we are having a conversation about rings without having to HAVE THE CONVERSATION ABOUT RINGS. We slightly underestimated and my ability to be swayed by sales pitches.  Remember how I said  Mr. Ly is a salesman's nightmare, well I am the polar opposite.  I have a very hard time say no to sales pitches, which is why I try to avoid them at all costs! When Marcos realizes I am not loving the sparkly pieces he is showing me, he breaks out the big guns.  He asks if we have ever seen a blue diamond before, and of course I say no, and as he's off getting a ring, I turn to Mr. Ly and assure him know that there is no way I'd EVER want a colored stone.

 Well, isn't this embarrassing.  Because as soon as he showed it to me, and I tried it on, forget it.  I was sold.  It was the prettiest ring I had ever seen.  And I had never seen anything like it before. It was everything I never thought I wanted, and at that moment I knew I had to have it. Of course, resort prices are astronomical, and there was no way Mr. Ly was going to buy my ring without any research or planning.  I would have to wait.  But we visited that ring every time we walked past the shops,  and Marcos stepped up his game every time too. He negotiated prices, and the more he talked the more I thought, just maybe we could get engaged right then and there.
Us, at the swing bar at the resort  / Personal Photo
(and I'm just now realizing how often Mr. Ly wears that Vandelay shirt! AH!) 
The ring was not purchased in Mexico. And we didn't get engaged for 3 months after we got home from our vacation.  But it gave us the push we needed to have the necessary conversations, finding the right jeweler, and after Mr. Ly made sure that I did indeed want a blue diamond, he bought my something blue.
I'm kind of obsessed with taking pictures of my ring on my phone. Surely, I'm not alone.
Personal Photo
Is anyone else using their ring as their "something?"

*my diamond is an irraditated blue diamond.  I found a really good article here that explains the difference between natural, irradiated, & lab created blue diamonds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment