Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

The Divine Nine

Nine is my favorite number. Always has been. So I feel that is completely appropriate to have nine bridesmaids.

My nine bridesmaids are made up of my sister,  Mr. Ly's sisters, and my nearest and dearest friends that range from elementary school best friends through my closest friend at my current job. At first I didn't love the idea of such a big bridal party.  But I can't imagine my day without any one of these ladies, so nine it is.


First up is my closest friend from work.  We started teaching together the same year,  traveled to Hawaii together, bought houses down the street from each other, started dating our current FIs within months of each other, got engaged within months of each other, and will be married within months of each other.  I am very honored to be a part of her wedding, and am so excited to have BM Sarah as part of mine. 
Sarah & Me, in Hawaii.
Mr. Ly has 3 sisters, who he is very close with, and in turn so am I.  We see them socially and at family events - these 3 ladies put the "fun" in family function.  Without further ado - BMs Katie, Elizabeth, and Linda, 

Elizabeth, Katie, Mr. Lyre, & Linda @ Katie's 21st birthday
Next up are my 3 best friends, who have been my best friends since we were in elementary school.  We grew up together, were girl scouts together, and these girls know me better than anyone else.  Here is an embarassing shot from my Bat Mitzvah in 1993, with BMs Jenna, Alissa, & Debbie. 
Me, Jenna (top), Alissa & Debbie (bottom) circa 1993

Same girls, opposite order. my birthday,  circa 2008
Next is my older sister, and BM, Liz, obviously she's know me my whole life, and we've been the best of friends and the worst of enemies (as anyone with a sister close in age can probably relate), but loved each other throughout it all.  I think I shocked a lot of people by not asking my sister to be my MOH, but she is a new mom (to my gorgeous niece) and lives 5 hours away, and it just felt unfair to ask her to take on that responsibility on top of everything else she has going on.  She is a wonderful sister, and I wish she were closer (especially now that she has that delicious baby!) 
Me and Sister Liz at her PhD defense, 2010
Which brings me to my divine ninth, my Matron of Honor, Diane.  She and I have been best friends since high school, through college, living in NYC, moving back to our home town, and settling down.  She is the most talented, creative, funny, and all around likeable person I know.  People gravitate towards her, and she is the life of the party.  What I cherish most about my friendship with Di is how we've grown together as we've grown up.  She knows me, in all my faults and assets,  she understands and respects our adult friendship - which has changed immensely since our 20s, and college, and high school.  She knows me and is honest with me, no matter what.  She was the obvious choice for my Matron of Honor.
MOH Di & me as a BM at Di's wedding

So there's my line up. Nine amazing women who are honoring me by being a part of my wedding. I am so lucky to have such strong, amazing women in my life, and can't think of a better way to honor each of them than to ask them to be in our wedding.

Is anyone else having a larger party than they originally thought and loving it?? 

1 comment: