Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Shedding for the Wedding.

Losing weight for the wedding.  For me this is my number one frustration thus far in wedding planning, and the hardest thing for me to share publicly.  I am a plus-sized bride. Which it's not like you can't tell by looking at me, but for me I've always had a hard time just admitting my weight issues.  The problem is, I feel like I've been trying to lose weight my entire adult life.  I can not remember a time when I wasn't on a diet.  Or actively trying to lose weight.  Sometimes I wonder what life would be like to not be on a diet, or constantly thinking about how horribly i just ate and I how I really need to get back on my diet.  I can not escape it, it's always there.

I've always been overweight.  It's something that I've dealt with my whole life, and from one failed diet to the next, I don't know if I will ever be NOT overweight.  But that doesn't stop me from trying crazy fad diets or trying to cut out entire food groups. You name it, I've tried it.  I can do it, for a week or two, lose a bunch of weight, then get sidetracked and fall off the wagon, only to start immediately thinking about the next weight loss fad I could try instead of whatever one didn't work.  


Thankfully I have my family to support me through this, and together we've joined Weight Watchers, and are losing for both weddings this year.  Out of my family, my dad, brother, and I are significantly overweight.  My mom has some pounds to lose, but not nearly as much as the three of us.  My sister would like to lose her baby weight, but she's always been blessed with the skinny genes, something I was always fiercely jealous of.  I remember growing up thinking how it was so unfair that she was skinny and I was not.  She was always very active, but it wasn't like she worked at it, she was just born that way.  It's the one thing I would have traded ANYTHING for.  

We've been going weekly to Weight Watchers, and thus far my dad has lost 20lbs, my brother is not far behind him at 19lbs, my mom is in third with 10lbs lost, and I'm last, only 5lbs in 5 weeks.  I haven't had any gains (thankfully) but I lose weight SO SLOWLY on Weight Watchers, it's why I am always drawn to other diets that get the weight off quickly (they come back quickly too, I know!)  I feel defeated, when I see a .2lb loss, but if I'm being honest with myself I haven't truly been giving it my all.  I have not been going to the gym, and I know if I am not exercising, I'm not losing any weight.  

I truly want to lose weight for my wedding, not because Mr. Ly cares about my weight.  He loves me regardless of my weight.  But I want to look at my wedding pictures and not have to try to figure out how I can crop it, so my arms don't look so huge, or not choose any pictures of me from the back because I look like a linebacker in a dress.

The Weight Watchers Crew (55lbs heavier total!) at my Dad's 60th.  I promise you this same picture was posted on Facebook cropping out my entire arm.
  Who else is trying to lose weight? What worked for you? Any tips? 

No comments:

Post a Comment