Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

What's my Type?


Or why I refuse to be Type-cast. 

Type A:
The theory describes a Type A individual as ambitious, rigidly organized, highly status conscious, can be sensitive, care for other people, are truthful, impatient, always try to help others, take on more than they can handle, want other people to get to the point, proactive, and obsessed with time management. People with Type A personalities are often high-achieving "workaholics" who multi-task, push themselves with deadlines, and hate both delays and ambivalence. Under Psychodynamic theory (derived from Freudian Psychology), Type A personality is related to constipation.

Type B: 
The theory describes Type B individuals as perfect contrast to those with Type A personalities. People with Type B personalities are generally apathetic, patient, relaxed, easy-going, no sense of time schedule, having poor organization skills, and at times lacking an overriding sense of urgency. These individuals tend to be sensitive of other people's feelings

(definitions: Wikipedia)

I've never really defined myself as a Type A or a Type B type person. (If you type the word type too many times, it looks really WRONG.) Anyway, I don't think I ever really thought about it until recently I heard/read/came across something about brides who are really into planning and organizing their wedding are mostly type A people. (I can't not remember where, some where in the muck of the internet, it was surely not a scientific study of personality traits of brides planning their wedding juxtaposed with a control group published in an academic journal)   Um, sure.  We're also all really constipated too, apparently. Maybe it's just me, but I am just not the type (that word again!) to pigeon hole myself or anyone else into a category that only has two choices.  (although wikipedia does have a Type C personality too, I have never heard of anyone describe themselves as Type C though. Maybe because it's the most depressing definition I've ever read, seriously... check it out.) 


There are times where I really match the definition of Type A, but I'm sure most people can say that in at least some regards.  For example, it says that Type A people are truthful. Yes  - I try to be, but I don't think people who are Type B are dishonest or lie for s&g's.  I am an extreme multitasker, I take on way more than I should, and am extremely proactive. This is what I think that person on the internet meant when (s)he said a lot of brides are Type A.  Planning weddings are a lot of work, they require multi-tasking, and being proactive. If not, then nothing gets done, right? If that makes me Type A, then so be it.  I'm also an extremely laid back person, patient, and have the complete lack of organization skills.  So, that makes me Type B, right?  

This wasn't the original intent of my post, mainly I got thinking about this because I have trouble asking people for help - in all areas of my life not just wedding related. I once moved into my apartment on a 4th floor walk-up in Brooklyn all.by.myself because I didn't want to ask for help.  Most of the furniture was unassembled from IKEA, but still, it was not an easy task. When I have parents volunteer at the library to help me, I spend a lot of time apologizing anytime I ask them to do anything, even though that is why they are there! It's never been in my nature to ask for help (hence the Type A workaholic-take-on-more-than-I-can-handle stereotype) and planning the wedding has been no different.  Giving up control is not my strong suit, especially when it comes to the biggest day of my life to date. 

I have not asked for help with any of the crafting/planning/execution of any of the wedding tasks I have done to date.  As the weeks went on, and I felt like I was drowning under wedding crafts and a sea of glue dots, I felt like I was getting more and more frustrated with Mr. Ly . He had offered to help many times, but I could not give up the control to allow him to help piece together the Save the Dates, or do any of the addresses.  Basically, I allowed him to get his side of the list's addresses, and seal/stamp the envelopes.  I wouldn't even let him take them to the post office. Not that I didn't think he could do it, but I knew if I didn't personally put them in the mailbox myself, it would worry me. I was frustrated that I was doing all the work, but I wouldn't let him help when he asked, and I never asked when I needed it.  It was at this point that I realized I needed to let up some of my control or else I would end up in a love/hate relationship with this wedding, and lose focus of what is really the point of the whole event.  

A day or two after the save the dates were mailed (by me - I really was that controlling), I finally told Mr. Ly I needed his help with planning the wedding.  He was very receptive and asked what he could do, I gave him a list that included emailing the photographer about our engagement shoot, finding a location for our rehearsal dinner, and nailing down our transportation for the day of.  None of these made me nervous to relinquish control, but as soon as I did, I felt a million times better.  There is something about sharing the load that makes the work so much more bearable.   Mr. Ly never wanted to be a groom that just "showed up" and I didn't want to be a bride that got so crazy about having things MY way that I lost sight of all the things we want to have together. 

So maybe I was being a bit Type A about the whole wedding or maybe I wasn't being Type B enough, but I was definitely heading towards Type C about the whole thing.  

Did anyone else get to the point where they realized they had bit off more than they could chew? Do you consider yourself to be a Type?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment