Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fake Spade

I love Kate Spade as much as the next bride (maybe a teensy bit more than most - more on that later).  However, there are times where I draw the line in how much I love her versus how much money I am willing to spend. Fake Spades are what we call knock-off Kates. When I was younger I may have purchased one or two fakes on Canal St in NYC, and sometimes, they are so good you can't even tell the difference (sometimes not so much!) But I didn't buy a Fake Spade this time, I made one!

One of my bridesmaids is getting married this summer, and as a teacher, you get a school shower along with your regular shower.  It's a little intense, but it's always a good time.  Teachers are always getting married in the summer (except me!) This week, I had 2 showers back-to-back.  These showers, like regular showers ADD UP.  I was in charge of the group gift from my school for my bridesmaids school shower (she has since moved to a different school which is why we weren't in charge of the whole shower!) I decided to put together a cute honeymoon bag for her and her husband-to-be, and LOVE the Kate Spade toiletries bag, but there was NO WAY I was going to spend $60 on a cosmetics bag, so I got creative.
The REAL Kate Spade


I bought 2 plain cosmetics bags.  I couldn't find one in white that I really liked, so I settled for blue. Bonus - they were on clearance and I got each bag for 12 cents!!

 I found a font that I liked, sized it, printed it, and stuck it in the toiletry bag.

 (all pictures below are personal) 



Then, I took a silver Sharpie marker, and traced the letters. It was that easy.



Who doesn't love a matching set?  And since I bought 2 of these bags, I decided to make a Mr. to go with the Mrs.



The execution of this DIY Fake Spade took me about 10 minutes total.  Combine that with the price difference between the two, and I'd say this is a definite WIN in projects. Sure, the quality isn't going to be the same, and maybe the Sharpie will rub off over time, but it gets the general point across, and for a one-time use bag - I think it's really neat!



I filled the Mrs. bag with sunscreen, aloe, and other sun products. And the Mr. bag I filled with candy and other sweet treats for their flights.

The honeymoon bag itself was pretty sweet, I'll do a separate post on that, complete with a self created gift poem!

How do you rate my Fake Spade? I probably couldn't sell it on Canal St, but alternate versions may make appearances throughout the wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment