Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Dressing Up My Mom

Shopping for a dress for my mom to wear for the wedding wasn't something I was particularly looking forward to. Remember how I bought my dress without ever going shopping or withoutever  trying it on, well this was part of the reason. After the fact, I asked my mom if she was upset that I had bought the dress without going shopping together, she told me she was not looking forward to that part. See, while I love my mom and my mom loves me, if we spend too much time together - we tend to fight and irritate the crap out of each other. We are VERY similar in personality and for some reason, that doesn't gel very well after a while. I think we both expected this to be a BIG disaster.

My dad called my mom around noon to see if we had killed each other yet.  We hadn't even left the house. Ahahaha.  Good start to the day. So we headed out with the confidence of my father spurring us on.  I'm not sure if the stars were aligned or we've just gotten better at shopping together, but we did NOT fight - not once - during the entire dress shopping time!

Oh, yeah, and my mom found a dress.  That's the point of this post, right?

My dress shopping experience in stores is very much like my dress shopping experience online.  I see a dress I like, and I know it's the dress I have to have. The first dress I picked out for my mom, just happened to be the one she bought.  The dress just caught my eye, and she LOVES it so much she didn't want to take it off, which is a good sign!  The only thing I really cared about was that it fit with the colors of the wedding - she wanted nothing matronly, or mother of the bride-ish - just something elegant.

Here is what she chose:

THE Dress - front view

And the back.
Obviously, brown isn't in the color family of the wedding, so here's my mom in the right color dress -
The smile says it all - she LOVES the dress. And isn't this color AMAZING. 
The dress is too big, but the color is spot on.  It is a grayish blue, and just fits perfectly.  I saw it on the hanger and new instantly that this was my mom's dress.  She tried on a few more, but none compared to the first one.  I loved it. She loved it.  It was meant to be. 

Even though she found THE dress in such a short time, dress shopping had just begun. She was also looking for a dress for my brother's wedding which is in October. Their colors are a pale green and and purple (not unlike Miss Sword's!), and this is the one that is currently in the lead.  

Notice the gloves? The store has you wear them when you try on dresses to not get the oils from your hands on the dress.  It is SERIOUS there. Also, Mom  was really liking the one shoulder look. 
We ended up going to two more stores, looking for a dress for my brother's wedding (I introduced my mom to the wonderful world of Nordstrom Rack - dangerous!), but she didn't really find anything that was better than the one above.

By the end of the day, we were definitely tired of shopping, and a little cranky (there may have been one small disagreement on the way home) but I would say the day was a success!

How was your shopping experience with your mom? Did anyone else choose their mom's dress for them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment