Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Easy-Peasy Chevron Tote Bag

One of my job responsibilities at the library where I work is to run teen craft nights.  I can plan whatever I want for these, so I've been finding ways to slip wedding-related crafts into something teens would like to do too.  Thus far we've made fabric flower headbands, covered button earrings,  even baked and decorated cupcakes.

I would love to do a chevron clutch for my bridesmaids, but I haven't found any yet that fit my price range or style that I like.  I decided I could probably make them, if I found the right bag, at the right price, how hard could it be? Since I had a craft night coming, I decided we'd make tote bags, and I could practice my chevron stripe.  If you want to make a tote bag for your out of town bags, bridesmaids tote bags, just for fun beach bags - here's a really easy tutorial:

(all photos personal) 

Supplies you'll need: 
  • Cardboard (for template)
  • Tote Bags
  • Painter's Tape or Duct Tape (any strong tape that will stick to the fabric but not permanently!)
  • fabric paint & paint brush 

Step 1: Trace a chevron stripe onto cardboard and cut it out: 
(you can find stripe templates all over the internet, I just made my own using word)

(I had to make 13 of these for our craft night!) 

Step 2:  Place stripe on tote bag, using painters tape or duct tape tape around the outline of the stripe: 


Once you have as many stripes as you want on your bag, using fabric paint, paint between the lines of the tape to create the desired effect: 


Let the paint dry, and then peel off the tape to reveal your super cute chevron tote bag! 


I added a small green heart at the top of mine, after it was done - it just looked like it needed something more: 

I am thrilled at how easy this was, and the kids had a great time with it, too! There are some things however that if I were to do it again for my bridesmaids, I'd change:  
  • one color paint for the whole bag, higher quality fabric paint - maybe screen printing ink?
  • make the template the same size stripe as the tape (I don't like how the painted stripes are thicker than the tape stripes - and personally I like the thinner stripe better)
  • making sure all the paint edges are adhered to the bag - the small splotches where the paint bled through are fine for this project but I would not be happy if these came out this way on the bridesmaids bags! 

Also, for time-saving tips: cut the tape strips all at the same time, and just line them up along the surface you are working on. The most time consuming part of this project was cutting the tape every single time I had a new row.  Also, I was supervising 11 teens at the time as well, so that may have been why it took so long!  

I'd say it's a DIY success for the tote bag - now do you think I can replicate/improve it for the clutches? Anyone know where I can find plain white clutches for not too much money? 

No comments:

Post a Comment