Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Flower-zilla

The flowers for our wedding are not really all that blog-worthy.  They will be white & wintery, and pretty - I hope.  But what is worth a story is how I turned into a bridezilla at our first florist meeting.

Our florist is located about hour away from our house, and as usual, we were running late to our appointment.  So in an effort to save time, I opted out of eating breakfast or having my coffee before our we left, so I started this day off on the wrong foot.  By the time we made it to the florist, I was HANGRY.
Hangry Pillow / mybeardedpigeon on Etsy
Between the traffic and my hunger - this wasn't looking good for our poor unsuspecting florist consultant.  I had brought my inspiration pictures, and I was ready for loads of "we can get you whatever you want for your wedding" from our consultant.  Not the case.

We started with my bouquet and the inspiration pictures:

Image via The Knot / Bouquet by De Juan Stroud / Photo by Brian Dorsey Studios

Bouquet by Cori Cook Floral Design / Photo by Laura Murray Photography


The consultant takes one look at my inspiration pictures, the date of my wedding, and says "I don't think ranunculus are available for your date."  Well, pair my hangry attitude with being told I would NOT be able to get the only type of flower I wanted for my wedding - I.Freaked.Out.  Well not immediately. I tried to keep it together as our very nice consultant showed me every single white flower that is available in January.  When she finished, I could tell I was close to tears.  I didn't want any of those flowers, I just wanted ranunculus. She continued to offer alternatives - like open roses, lisianthus, gardenias... none of it was working for me. And then, the rage came out. 

"You mean to tell me that you can get ranunculus in February, which is only X weeks from our wedding, but it's impossible to get them for our wedding?  No.  I want ranaunculus. And that's IT."  Yeah, hangry. 

Our consultant, who I think was a little scared of me at this point, went off to call their distributor, and Mr. Ly turns to me, and asks me if I'm ok, which I respond to by shooting him daggers, exhaling deeply, and turning away.  Just moments later, the consultant came back with - thankfully - good news!  She can get us ranunculus, but my bouquet is going to require at least 40 stems, and it's going to cost us. I'm totally cool with that. After my slightly scary freak-out, I was much more pleasant throughout the rest of the meeting - apparently getting your way is a temporary fix for hanger outbursts.  I apologized about my outburst at the end of the appointment, and feel really bad about how I behaved at the beginning, but the florist was really very kind about it. 

In the moment I could feel how silly I was being, but I just had zero control of my emotional outburst at that point. Has anyone else ever gotten into that moment where you KNOW you're acting ridiculous, but you can't help it? Was it driven by being hangry?

No comments:

Post a Comment