Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Engagement Shoot Inspiration

You remember when I told you that I found our Save the Dates while I was searching for inspiration for our engagement shoot?  Well, I am presently putting together the inspiration for our photo shoot next month.

We obviously aren't using these pictures for our Save the Dates, and didn't really need them since we had a photo shoot the day we got engaged, so we thought we'd have a little fun with them. It comes with our photography package, and I think it's a great chance to get to know our photographer a little better - and get some cool photos too!  We decided to have some fun and do a Mad Men/retro themed/1950s-60s photo shoot.

First up, location scouting.  First I was looking into doing the shoot at an old fashioned bar in Philly, but bars aren't always open during the day, I didn't want to have pay any shooting fees, and they are kind of dark for pictures.  So I changed my focus to hotels, and considered possibly seeing if we could get a room to shoot in, or just shoot in the lobby.

So I was on Groupon (ha, really, don't be surprised!) and saw a great deal for a stay at The Chelsea Hotel in Atlantic City.  We're not taking a vacation this summer because we're saving for the wedding and will be taking two trips next year.  AC is a day trip really, but we decided an overnight stay in the penthouse would suffice for NOT taking a vacation this summer. Also, it's a prime spot for some killer retro style photos.

(all photos below courtesy of the The Chelsea Atlantic City)
Hotel Entrance
Lobby
Restaurant & Hotel Bar
The Living Room (lounge area)
C5 Night Club
Since we'll be taking our pictures in the middle of the week, during the day, I don't anticipate having to fight off crowds, or running into any trouble using the spaces.  I think they will be the PERFECT back-drop to our photos.

Now, what to wear?
I gathered some inspiration for the photo shoot and created some collages to capture the feel that I wanted for the pictures.

Here's what I had in mind for the casual portion of our shoot -
Casual Engagement Shoot
Casual Engagement Shoot by Miss Lyre 


Fendi red jewelry
$135 - pret-a-beaute.com
Kate spade jewelry
nordstrom.com



And for the formal shots, I had something like this in mind -


Engagement Shoot - Formal
Formal Engagement Shoot by Miss Lyre 

Classic black dress
$55 - amazon.co.uk
Salvatore Ferragamo low heels
$470 - farfetch.com
Logo bag
atelier-mayer.com



I realize that both outfits are pretty dressy, but I think they both fit the look I am going for.  I have almost all the elements of both outfits already, and I am really excited to see how it looks all put together! Now, I just need some inspiration for Mr. Ly - which is proving to be harder than I originally thought! 

I hate to keep you all waiting, but our shoot isn't until August, so keep an eye out for these photos in about a month or two (hopefully our photographer won't keep us waiting too long!) 

Did anyone else use their engagement shoot as an excuse to play dress up?  What are some cool ideas you've had for a themed engagement shoot? 

No comments:

Post a Comment