Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Wedding Belles are ringing.

Hi, my name is Miss Lyre, and I am obsessed with Kate Spade.

My obsession with Ms. Spade goes back about 10 years, to 2002, when I was a recent college graduate looking for something that would make me look professional.  The sleek, simple design of her signature Sam bag drew me in immediately - and the $150 price tag just proved that it was something that really professional people must have (please note this is what I thought as a 22 year old, and not what I believe currently!), and just like that, I was hooked.  After an ebay purchase gone awry and I ended up purchasing a fake spade without realizing (which helped craft my ideas for this fake spade), I was meticulous about what I would buy and obsessed with authenticity.  In 10 years, I have amassed 8 Kate Spade handbags, 2 wallets, a weekend/travel bag, a day planner, a make-up case, her 3 books on etiquette: Style, Ocassions, & Manners, a palm pilot case (if you don't know what a palm pilot is - think pre-blackberry - but not a phone, and no messaging. Really it was just an electronic organizer- and I just aged myself 10 fold here.), an iPhone case, and pencils.  Pencils - which have never even been sharpened, because then they wouldn't be as good. (I know I'm crazy!).   Most of these were purchased within the first 5 years of my obsession - and up until I got engaged, I was able to curb the purchasing.  However, once the ring was on, and I had full knowledge of the Wedding Belles line, all bets were off.

I was convinced that I MUST have something "Kate" with me on my wedding day - I'm adding this onto my somethings - shamelessly. I guess it could count as my something "new" but I won't be wearing it until after the ceremony.  That's right - I'm changing... necklaces!  I purchased the "SAY YES - MRS" necklace, and will be doing an accessory change after our ceremony.
Kate Spade / SAY YES "MRS" NECKLACE

I got it on sale, which saved me about $20, and didn't offend my now thrifty senses that cringe at spending this much on myself - even if I do covet it. This should have been enough to tide me over, satiate my obsession, but unfortunately, once I get started, I sometimes can not stop.

I was browsing in TJ MAXX about a week ago, and a familiar pink tag caught my eye.  Could it be? Kate Spade Wedding Belles at TJ MAXX?  $400+ dresses for a bargain! Yes, please.  I found two that really stood out - in sizes that were doable (Kate doesn't do plus size, but I found that the size 14 was not so bad and if I REALLY tried hard, I could make it work for the wedding.)

 Wedding Belles Kay Dress, retail price - $425, TJ MAXX - $169
Wedding Belles Wynne Dress - retail price - $475, TJ MAXX - $169
I talked myself out of buying both of these dresses.  For the main reason of they don't actually fit me right now.  And I can't actually afford them, either.  We haven't planned our rehearsal/dinner yet either, so if we end up having something casual, this really wouldn't work. I don't have a "rehearsal dinner dress budget" and even though I really LOVE these dresses, I think I may actually love that they are Kate Spade a bit more than I love the dresses themselves and convinced myself to NOT buy either of these dresses. My trick to this is asking myself to picture the dress with a different label on it, and question if I would still buy it, case in point here - I would NOT buy a dress that didn't fit me, so no go on Wedding Belles dresses.

Oh, but wait... there is still one more:
Kate Spade Wedding Belles Nicole Jacket - $725, TJ Maxx - $249 
I found this jacket, which I could wear outside for pictures, and even though I haven't purchased it, I still find myself thinking about it. I may make a run to the store this week to see if they still have it. I'll bring my mom, who is a sound second opinion, to make sure I'm not being blinded by the pink tag.

Now, I know it is more than I should spend on something I will wear for MAYBE an hour while I take pictures outside.  But I haven't yet found any outdoor accessories that I really like (I really don't want anything furry/hooded/cape-like), and this is the first thing I've found that really has even appealed to me for outdoor pictures.

Should I try to go back and get it, or am I being blinded by my Kate Spade addiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment