Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

No Wire Hangers!

Anyone else think of this classic scene from Mommy Dearest when people talk about DIY wire hangers?

My bridesmaid Sarah is getting married this weekend, and I asked her a few weeks ago if she had a special hanger for her dress. She said she was thinking about buying one, but I convinced her that I could make her one for her wedding and she did not need to buy one. I have never made a name hanger before, nor do I have any experience working with wire - but I was convinced it couldn't be that hard. I've made jewelry before, and had all the tools I needed, I just needed to get some wire and get it done.

Easier said than done.  I bought some 14 gauge floral wire from Jo-Ann's Fabrics, and promptly made this mess:

Attempt #1

Attempt #2
So, you can see my second attempt got a little better, but it still looks like a hot mess.  I turned to the internet to garner some inspiration.  After a quick search and some Etsy inspired designs, I realized I should abandon the capital b all together, and created this much better version:

Still having trouble with the "i", but I found a way to resolve that... 
The last attempt turned out so much better, and it actually looked like something I could give to my friend.  However, attaching it to the hanger was just more complicated than I thought (really, it's just hot glue in a hole, but I managed to mess that up somehow)  So two hangers later, and my attempt to attach it to the hanger was a bit messier than I hoped. So I used some accents, like a pearl on the "i" and flowers to cover how messy the ends are.

The final product (without flash)

And again, with flash. 
I have a few days, and one more hanger, I could potentially try again. I would need to buy more wire though, I used over 6 feet on four attempts.  But I think I might have a better handle on it.

What do you think I should do, bees?  Make another one or give my friend this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment