Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Bit of the Bubbly

When I first made my appearance on the 'Bee, I proclaimed myself to be a lover of all things champagne.  However, since that proclamation, I have yet to incorporate any of the bubbly into our actual wedding plans.  I have a champagne shower coming up, and (of course!) will be making some glittery champagne glasses which so many bees have blogged about (I'll just show you the final product when they're done!), but now comes the time when Mr. Ly and I must decide on our signature drink for cocktail hour. There's only one thing I think it should be:

I do love me some bubbly.  Personal Photo 

Our wedding will have a full open bar, which was a non-negotiable for us. Upon arrival to our ceremony, our guests will be greeted with a glass of champagne before entering the ceremony space. (This alone sold me on our venue.) Our caterers are well known for their excellent service, and this is certainly one of the aspects that drew us to Cescaphe catering. However,  they are truly known for their cocktail hour (which is actually an hour and a half - more on that later!) Along with the food and standard open bar, they also offer a signature drink to be butlered with the passed hors d'oeurves.  Signature drinks are fairly common these days, but we can't decide on a drink.

Since our guests already will be getting champagne, and can get more if they'd like, we're opting against it for our signature drink. If I can't have just plain champagne, I will have a champagne drink of sorts.  It doesn't have to match our colors - would anyone drink something gray anyway?

This is where we're starting:

A Guide To Champagne Cocktails

Image by Loku

The problem is we haven't tried any of these before, with the exception of mimosas and bellinis. Mimosas are out because they are too brunch-y.  As much as I love a good brunch and a good mimosa, it doesn't really match the feel we are going for in our wedding. Mr. Ly hates anything peach, so bellinis are out too.  The rest are pretty much fair game.  

My birthday is just around the corner, and with all the wedding stuff going on this year, I didn't want to make a big deal about it. With the shower at the end of the month, a bachelorette party in just 2 months after the shower, my friends are already going above and beyond.  Turning 32 is no big thing, so we're inviting over a few of our close friends/bridal party members to help us decide on our drink instead of going out for my birthday.  

We need to narrow this list down to a few choices to make for my birthday/signature drink party, and this is where I need your help!  

Of the following drinks - which would YOU choose? 

  • () Champagne Cocktail 
  • () Kir Royale
  • () Black Velvet
  • () French 75
  • () The Ghost
  • () D'Artagnan 
  • () Queen's Cousin 
  • () Pointsettia 
  • () Pimm's Royale
  • () Death in the Afternoon
  • () Nelson's Blood
  • () Champagne Flip (although this one freaks me out with the egg yolk) 
  • () Other - let me know in the comments if you have a drink suggestion below! 
Don't worry, we'll be changing the name on whatever it is we choose (so, don't be deterred by "Death in the Afternoon" or "Nelson's Blood!!").  I already had a name in mind - as a nod to my Weddingbee moniker, we'll be calling our drink "Lyre's Libation" (unless you guys can convince me otherwise!). 

Anyone else use their birthday or another holiday to get some wedding planning done?  

No comments:

Post a Comment