Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Who needs a video?

I find it very interesting that a lot of brides (myself definitely included!) are so willing today to spend a large portion of their budget on photography, yet waiver almost indefinitely on whether or not they want a video of their day.  In today's highly digital age, videos are as easily accessible as photos, thanks to Facebook, YouTube and Vimeo and all the other video sharing sites out there.  But still, a lot of brides will say that having a video of their day isn't worth it. I was one of those brides.  And until we had made our photographer decision, I didn't think video was that important.  "I'm going to watch it once, and that's it" or "I'll just have someone I know videotape the ceremony, and that's it - I don't need to see anything else." - Common excuses I've said as to why we didn't need a video.  I was once asked to videotape someone's ceremony, and I'll be honest, it freaked me out.  I had no idea what I was doing and I was worried how it would turn out and this friend would forever hate me for not getting good enough footage of her ceremony.  Needless to say, I passed the buck onto someone else that day, and just watched the ceremony as a guest - as I should have - as any invited guest should.

I was in this "video is not important to me" boat, until just after we booked Mike Landis as our photographer. We saved nearly $2000 on our photography package, so we had some money to play with in our budget.  I decided to see what $2000 could get us in videography.  I found out early on, depending on the videographer - $2000 didn't get you very far. After looking into some really pricey packages, I was about to rule out videography (hello, letterpress...), when I found the site of a videographer who seemed to have good style, everything I would want in a package, and well within our price-range.  I emailed him, and within a week of even deciding if we even wanted videography, we had a great meeting and a good feeling about hiring a videographer.

Ken of Kenneth Stillman Videography is warm and friendly, and we shared a great meal with him while he showed us his work. He and Mr. Ly chatted about their favorite shows and movies, and got along as friends would (which considering our reasoning behind choosing a photographer is really important to us).  What we really LOVED about his packages, was that every single one of them included a same-day edit.  So while I'm pining away for professional photos, or wanting to relive every moment of my wedding day - immediately after it happens - I can.  At the end of my wedding, I will have something along the lines of this to share:



Considering his price was well within our budget and we get this PLUS a full-length digital video, after the fact - I'm not sure why we wouldn't hire him as our videographer. I am so excited about this, and I really find it hard to believe that I once uttered the words "Wedding video? Who needs a wedding video?"  I do.  

This is just one more reason I am SO glad we save money with the photographer, had we gone with our other choice I would have never had the option for video. 

Who else switched camps in the videography category? 

No comments:

Post a Comment