Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Last One, First.

Mr. Ly and I have so many songs that we could say are "our" songs. There are songs that remind me of almost every aspect of our relationship.

Some are ridiculously silly songs:
Your Love is My Drug - Ke$ha




What you've got boy is hard to find
Think about it all about it all the time
I'm all strung up my heart is fried

I just cant get you off my mind


This mostly stemmed from the very last line where Ke$ha says "I like your beard." seriously. Mr. Ly tried growing a beard early on in our relationship, and well, it didn't quite fill in the way he would have liked. So, this line stuck for both of us.  An entire song for the very last line. And while the song is not really my general taste in music, it reminds me of the very beginning of our relationship, where we would both walk around with these huge grins on our faces all the time.  Who wouldn't want to remember that on their wedding day?

Some are sweet, romantic, songs:
Feels Like Home - Edwina Hayes (from My Sister's Keeper Soundtrack), lyrics originally by Randy Newton 


If you knew how much this moment means to me
And how long I've waited for your touch
And if you knew how happy you are making me
I never thought that I'd love anyone so much

This song is so unbelievably sweet, and has a lot of meaning for us, but 3 out of the 4 weddings we've been to this past year had this song as one of the first dances.  We love it, but we want our song to be original, too. 

We have some fun dancey songs too,
Home - Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros 



I'll follow you into the park, 
through the jungle, through the dark
Girl, I've never loved one like you

Ahh, Home
Let me come Home
Home is wherever I'm with you

It's too upbeat for our first dance, but we love this song.  It was a contender for the last dance, but -again - too upbeat to end the night on as well. We want something a bit more sway-inducing, and sing-along-ish. However, it will find it's home (ha!), somewhere in our wedding.

The Avett Brothers, Mumford & Sons, Ingrid Michaelson, and many more bands/artists have been at the forefront of our relationship.  Which has made finding a first dance song kind of tortuous. We know we don't want something traditional, but we don't want something that is so obscure that people won't like it. All of these songs/artists will make an appearance at our wedding, in some way or another. But we are still searching for that perfect first dance song. (I have made many a suggestion - but this is the one area that Mr. Ly is super opinionated and has rejected everything I have said thus far)

Our last dance kind of just fell into our laps. In the same lines as Mrs. Unicycle, we want to be surrounded by loved ones as we soak in the final moments of our wedding. We want something fun, and special, and something a lot of our guests can sing along to.

We were recently at a Keane concert, and the sheer volume of people singing along to "Somewhere Only We Know" struck me, and I turned to Mr. Ly, mid song, and said "this is our last dance song." He agreed, (I was shocked!) and just like that, we have ONE musical decision made for the wedding.  It's not much, I know, but it's a good start to a long process of narrowing down what is important to us musically.

Somewhere Only We Know - Keane



And if you have a minute, why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go somewhere only we know?
Somewhere only we know

What were your first dance choices? Who else had a tough time convincing their FI to pick one? Any suggestions you think could sway Mr. Ly? 

No comments:

Post a Comment