Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Dashed Dreams

We hit the ground running with wedding planning, a few weeks into being engaged.  I was sure this is going to be a piece of cake. That is until we hit the first bump in the road to our marital bliss.  Not that there was a problem between Mr. Ly and myself... but a bump in the plans I've had in my head for years.  I've dreamt of getting married at the Free Library of Philadelphia, for as long as I remember planning my future wedding in a real tangible thought process (read: not when I was a child, this isn't a scene from Bride Wars and the Plaza) But I had this idea of my wedding, on the roof terrace of the library, overlooking the parkway and the museums, and it was a beautiful image.

Loraine Daley Wedding Photography
Gorgeous, right? 
Sadly, when I called the Free Library to schedule a visit,  the lady informed me that the terrace/entire top floor would be under renovation from June 2012 - June 2013.  I was heartbroken.  Really, I didn't think I would be that sad over a venue.  But I had never wanted to get married anywhere else, never had a vision of my wedding beside the Free Library.  I was mopey and miserable when I got home and informed  Mr. Ly of the bad news. He wasn't quite as upset, but he was a little disappointed.  I think he was surprised how upset I actually was, but I really couldn't help it.  I felt like I had failed somehow in my wedding planning, at step 1.  I know I can not control the renovations, and as Mr. Ly pointed out we could wait and get married after June 2013, or we could rush a wedding and get married in just a few months.  I didn't want to rush, and I don't want to wait.  I want to get married in January, and again, I need to remind myself that at the end of our wedding day, we will be married, no matter where we have the reception - and that's what I'm most excited about.

Even if it won't look like this. (sigh)
Anne Ruthman Photography
(Note: this is the Detroit Library not Philly, but still.)
 We started looking at more venues, and I contacted my top 5 that I thought were reasonably priced and fit my now unsure vision.  My number one requirement was it was not be a wedding factory, a catering hall or hotel or country club... so that limits availability.  Good thing Philadelphia is chock full of cool spaces and places.  Now to find one that suits our needs.

We were back to the drawing board.  I felt like I had to rework my whole vision, but maybe that's a good thing. A fresh vision that can incorporate what we both want, not just what I've always wanted.

Has anyone else had a vision for their wedding that they had to completely scrap? Am I the only one who actually cried? 

1 comment:

  1. Awww <3 Your wedding will be absolutely beautiful no matter what!

    ReplyDelete