Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

A new vision.


With the library completely out of the picture for our venue, I was left with little to go on for my venue ideas.  I stalked websites, blogs (mainly the bee), wedding magazines, Partyspace (which is an AMAZING resource for anyone planning a party of any kind in Philly, Baltimore or South Florida), and blogs of some wedding photographers that I had been obsessing over, long before I was engaged.

My requirements were they had to be able to accommodate 150 guests with a seated dinner and dancing, not be a catering hall/ballroom, and it had to be in Center City Philadelphia. Non-requirements (but would prefer) were a library-ish space for pictures, a historic building, and dinner and dancing in the same room.

I narrowed my choices down to 5 venues:



Venue 1: Please Touch Museum

A girl I went to high school with (and I'm only friends with via Facebook) got married at the Please Touch museum when it was first remodeled (Her's is the second picture down from Susan Stripling).  She had the most spectacular photos from her day, and I immediately thought of it once I was back in the market for a new vision. The Please Touch is a GORGEOUS space with lots of interesting options for photos, ceremony, reception.  You have to use their in-house caterer and their bottom package price started at $145 a person, without tax and tip. While it does not have a library, it does have some amazing places and visually interesting spots for photographs.
Carousel Wedding Pictures / Image via M2 Photography

Amazing Spaces / Images via Susan Stripling Photography
Venue 2: The College of Physicians of Philadelphia (The Mutter Museum)

The College of Physicians of Philadelphia is the oldest professional medical organization in the country.  It does have some beautiful spaces and has the library feel to it, which I loved.  The main room could hold up to 300, and the room that fit my vision could hold up to 150.   It had everything I really wanted, and even more (The Mutter Museum is home to many medical oddities, skulls, and other creeptastic stuff.) 

Ceremony / Image via Photography by Ryan Estes

Reception / Image via Sandor Welsh Photography

Venue 3: The Kimmel Center

I LOVE the Kimmel Center.  I have been to many an event there, and personally love the enclosed garden with the domed ceiling at the top of the center. The Hamilton Garden is gorgeous and unique and I loved that if felt like you were outside when you aren't (it's hard to get that outdoors feel in January!) It would have amazing views, of the city and the night skyline.  And I immediately added this venue to the top of our list.  Can host up to 200, but can seat up to 160 more comfortably (PERFECT!) with catering by Wolfgang Puck, yum.  So, no library, but an outdoor feel to a wedding in January, I was willing to adjust my vision. 

Ceremony in Hamilton Garden - photo courtesy of Wolfgang Puck Catering

First Dance in Hamilton Garden - Image via Sofia Negron
(side note: I happened to be venue shopping at the very time Miss Turkey was announced on the blog, I was so excited to read about a Kimmel Center wedding, but she PMed me to tell me what happened with them.  We didn't love the construction  that was making a box within this open space, and then after hearing what happened to Miss Turkey, we nixed it right away.)


Venue 4: The Racquet Club of Philadelphia
The Racquet Club of Philadelphia is a historic mansion in Center City, that had a lot of the old city feel I was looking for.  It could hold over 200, but since it is an old building, the rooms are smaller, and even though I could fit everything I would want, dinner and dancing would have to be separate.  I also have heard not the best things about their staff, and would have to hire a day-of-coordinator to handle the details of the wedding.  But it is warm and cozy, and has that feel that I originally envisioned for my wedding.  
Ceremony - Image via Heather Fowler Photography
Dinner - Image via Gerad Tomko
Dancing - Image via Gerad Tomko

Venue 5: The Atrium at the Curtis Center

The Atrium is the lobby of the old Curtis Center Publishing Company, which is now home to the offices of the FBI and other businesses during the week. During the weekend,  Cescaphe reinvents the space to a gorgeous wedding space that can accommodate up to 500.  Located directly across from Independence Park, there are countless photo opportunities in and around the Curtis Center. Cescaphe offers a spectacular deal with all inclusive pricing (including tax and gratuity, and all the food you can imagine.) 
The entrance from 6th Street - via Amie Schroeder Photography
Ceremony / Image via Beautiful Blooms / Photography via Lorianne Daley Photography
Reception - Image via Sarah Miller Photography

Our first venue visit was to the Curtis Center on a Saturday morning as they were preparing for a wedding that evening, and just like that, I was smitten.  I didn't need to see anymore, and the other 4 venues just fell back to this one.  It has no library, no remnants of my original vision, but I could see myself getting married there.  I wanted to get married there.  So without seeing another venue, or pricing out any other options. we had a place to get married. 

Did we make the right decision? Did anyone else do a lot of research before choosing your venue, only to visit one in the end? 

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh pretty!!! All of those places look amazing, but I definitely like how the "ceremony" pic looks at the Curtis Center!

    ReplyDelete