Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Do we, on Sunday?

After being engaged for one month,  I realized that wedding planning is MUCH different than it was before I got engaged.  Hmm. What's that you say? Planning BEFORE you got engaged?  Not really, but in my head, yes.  I had the whole thing planned.  We had the perfect venue (the library), our date would of course be available without ANY conflict, we'd have our choice of all the best vendors - because money would be of no issue, and of course I'd be a DIY genius, garnering inspiration from flowers and nature (or um, Pinterest & Etsy), our photographs would be effortlessly beautiful but candid, and did I mention that money would be of NO issue.  And then the magic happened, Mr. Ly proposed and I said yes and there were were, engaged, and we really started to plan.

First up: find the perfect venue. Done.
Image via Mike Landis Photographer

As I mentioned in a previous post,  the library will be under renovation on the date we want to get married, so we had to look for a back up. Where I brainstormed and researched, and finally settled on the gorgeous Curtis Center.

Our only concern is the guest number minimums, which are a tad higher than our already full guest list.  Could we get our numbers up to meet their minimum? Sure.  Do we WANT to?  Not really.  Having the wedding on a Saturday night, even in the off season, would cost more than we think it should. I would have to invite every single person I've ever had a conversation with or every co-worker, and really we don't want a 200+ person wedding. So, we could continue our search for another venue (I had 4 more I hadn't even looked at yet!) or we could compromise. I really did not want keep looking. I felt like I had found the perfect place, and after having my first vision dashed, I wasn't ready to give up so quickly.

There was still an alternative. It would allow us to get married at this venue.  It would be an earlier ceremony which would allow us to have some natural lighting in the atrium (our Saturday night ceremony would be after sunset), and even better, would save us over $4000, and we could have a much lower minimum number of guests.  What could this magical circumstance be that would allow our dreams to align this way?? Sunday. We would get married on Sunday - afternoon/early evening, with our reception running until 10:30.  We debated it back and forth for a while. Mr. Ly had the biggest reservations. He worried that people wouldn't have fun, they wouldn't drink or they would want to leave early because of work the next day.  Also, one of his groomsman works for the NFL and Sundays in January are kind of their busy season.  If it conflicted with Groomsman K's schedule, it was off.

I have no issue with Sunday weddings.  My sister got married on a Sunday, and as far as I could tell, no one drank any less, partied any lighter, or left any earlier because of it. Once we heard from Groomsman K that the Sunday in January we wanted was ok by him, I was able to convince Mr. Ly that a Sunday wedding would be no less fun than a Saturday wedding.  They call it Sunday Funday for a reason!

Seriously, what's so great about Saturday night anyway? Who else is getting married NOT on a Saturday?

No comments:

Post a Comment